The foundation of Florida Hospital Church began more than a hundred years ago. Today, we celebrate our diverse history and multi-cultural membership.
See how we’ve changed over the years:
- 1885: A small group worshiping in Sorrento became the first Seventh-day Adventist believers in Central Florida.
- 1890: On March 30, a group of 14 members was organized in Orlando, which at that time had a population of 2,500. The congregation increased to 25 people and met in a member’s home before renting the Armory Building on Court Street.
- 1893: The Florida Conference of Seventh-day Adventists organized in September, with three ordained ministers, two licentiates and 139 members.
- 1908: A property lot was purchased for $250, and an $800 frame sanctuary, measuring 24 x 36 feet, was constructed at the corner of West Central and Terry Streets. The church, appropriately named Central Church, also featured a school. The Florida Conference of Seventh-day Adventists purchased a 72-acre property for $9,000. On October 1, the building opened as Florida Sanitarium and Hospital.
- 1922: A group of hospital employees began Saturday afternoon services on the “day porch” of the hospital.
- 1926: On September 24, the Florida Conference of Seventh-day Adventists organized the hospital services into a church meeting in Winyah Chapel.
- 1948: The membership grew to 146, and a new sanctuary was built at 800 Lake Estelle Drive. Today, this building houses the Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences Library.
- 1960: A transept for additional seating and the education wing for children’s classes were built as an addition to the Lake Estelle facility.
- 1971: The church sanctuary was redecorated.
- 1981: Florida Sanitarium Church officially became The Seventh-day Adventist Church at Florida Hospital.
- 1984: The membership voted to merge with Kress Memorial Church, but the merger was not completed due to a vote from the Kress membership.
- 1987: The congregation voted to expand and renovate the church facility.
- 1989: After hiring an architect, the church realized the plans for additions and renovations were double the original estimates. The project was abandoned, and the church began to rent space from John Knox Presbyterian Church.
- 1990: The church voted to exchange the property at 800 Lake Estelle Drive with Florida Hospital. In the deal, the church received the 2800 block of Orange Avenue.
- 1991: The church broke ground on a new facility on September 29.
- 1993: On May 22, the church move to 2800 N. Orange Avenue was official. With the move came a new name: Florida Hospital Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- 2000: Third floor completed.
- 2001: Mortgage burned on the last Saturday in December.
- 2002: Downtown Community ended a nine-year run. The church voted to develop Loch Haven Children’s Academy, a 247-capacity early childhood education and care center.
- 2006: Full-time Children’s/Family Pastor position added to staff.
- 2009: Style and times of services changed to better fit the community and church needs. New mission and vision were adopted to propel the church into its next phase while attracting new members from the community.
- 2012: In-house Worship Cafe opened on October 6.
- 2013: First off-site Worship Cafe opened.
- 2015: Adopted “Vision 2018.”
- 2016: New church logo and revised service times revealed in the spring.
- 2017: Added a full-time Justice Ministries staff member