Justice Ministries focuses on making a difference in the lives of youth in the community through lasting relationships. We help bring justice to youth through volunteering, awareness, prayer and local partnerships.
Our Mission: To act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly.
Our Vision: To create opportunities for relational engagement with youth in our community in order to bring greater justice both locally and globally.
September 19-24, 2017
The Global Peace Film Festival established in 2003, uses the power of the moving image to further the cause of peace on earth. From the outset, the GPFF envisioned “peace” not as the absence of conflict but as a framework for channeling, processing and resolving conflict through respectful and non-violent means. People of good faith have real differences that deserve to be discussed, debated and contested. GPFF works to connect expression – artistic, political, social and personal – to positive, respectful vehicles for action and change. The festival program is carefully curated to create a place for open dialogue, using the films as catalysts for change.
FHC is promoting this festival not as an endorsement of each film but as a hearty endorsement of wishing to engage with others as we seek to fulfill Jesus’ call to be peacemakers in our world.
Justice Ministries Team meeting
October 14, 9:30;10:30am
The next Justice Ministries team meeting is on October 14th from 9:30-10:30am. Anyone is welcome to join us to learn more about FHC’s community initiatives and volunteer opportunities. Please RSVP by emailing Krizia at email@example.com.
Birthday Bash for Orlando Union Rescue Mission
Florida Hospital Church will be sponsoring a birthday party for Orlando Union Rescue Mission Center residents on October 20th. We need volunteers to help us set-up, serve dinner, and plan games/activities for the families. Email Krizia Capeles at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hurricane Relief Volunteer Opportunities
If you are interested in volunteering your time to help our state during this time of recovery, please consider registering to volunteer. Both Volunteer Florida and the Red Cross have volunteer opportunities available throughout the state. There are still many needs all of Central Florida and beyond, please consider volunteering or donating to help!
From Outside In Sorting and Organizing Days
Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays
Due to an increase in donations, From Outside In needs extra help with sorting and organizing clothes at their storage unit. Please sign up HERE to volunteer. A group of up-to 5 can volunteer on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 – 12:30pm, or Saturdays from 9 – 1:30pm. If you have any questions contact Krizia at email@example.com
There are many ways to get involved in Justice Ministries, but one of the most important things you can do is pray for the communities and the individuals we serve. With God’s help, we can make a lasting change in people’s lives. Please visit a few of our partner organizations’ websites for specific causes that need our prayers: The Florida Abolitionist’s 31 Days of Prayer and the International Justice Missions Prayer Request.
Prayer Partner Update – July 29, 2017
“The Lord is known by his acts of justice; the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands.” — Psalm 9:16
- Praise God for two new Africa Field Office Directors! These leaders will lead the critical work fighting the injustice of property grabbing in our Gulu and Kampala, Uganda offices. Please pray for smooth transitions as they and their families move to these new places and adjust to a different culture and community.
- Praise God for the conviction of the man who exploited Rita*, a survivor of sexual assault in Bolivia. After an extremely difficult and complicated case and trial, justice was achieved for Rita when this man was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Praise God for this conviction, and pray for Rita’s continued restoration now that she knows this man has been brought to justice.
- Please pray over the large international anti-trafficking conference taking place in Mumbai this week. Several members of leadership from IJM’s Southeast Asia offices are traveling to this conference that IJM assisted in planning. This event is a tremendous opportunity to build momentum in the fight against modern slavery, build connections with foreign leaders, and encourage just law enforcement to protect the poor. Please pray specifically that our team would benefit from this conference greatly and be encouraged as they return to their countries to continue the fight for justice.
- Please pray for the IJM investigators so they consistently find victims of labor trafficking in our project areas. Slavery exists everywhere, but finding hidden victims is incredibly difficult, dangerous and intense. Our investigations team is made up of hardworking, humble servants of Jesus, but they need God’s leading in 2017 to find those suffering in violence, so we can bring rescue and relief.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- Join us in continuing to praise God for The New Activist Podcast. The weekly show’s second season recently launched in partnership with the RELEVANT Podcast Network. Thank God for the listeners who have already taken action to fuel the work against slavery, and pray that the weekly show would continue to rally people across the globe to step into the fight in new and powerful ways.
FHC Partner Organizations:
FHC Justice Ministries focuses on serving youth in the community. Below are partner organizations that you can get involved with today!
Family Promise of Greater Orlando (FPGO) is a nonprofit, interfaith hospitality network providing temporary assistance and case management for families with children experiencing homelessness. FPGO provides services through participation of local congregations, dedicated staff and hundreds of volunteers. FHC hosts three to four families experiencing homelessness every quarter through FPGO. When families come to the FHC, they spend a week in our classrooms converted to bedrooms and are provided daily meals and snacks. To get involved, contact Krizia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FHC has several annual drives for children in foster care. In December, we collect toys to give foster care children a special Christmas. We also continuously collect clothes to donate to From Outside In, which provides one-day boutiques to children in foster care and adoptive families. You can sign-up to “Adopt a Family” that has foster and/or adopted children here. In the “Adopt a Family” program, you can help families by babysitting, grocery shopping, performing household chores and more! For more information, contact Krizia at email@example.com.
From Outside In (FOI) is a mobile boutique that allows youth (ages 12-21) to shop for free new and gently used clothes. Some families find it hard to get the services that they need—FOI provides services directly to the community. FOI believes every youth should feel confident, and the right clothing can help boost confidence at school, in the community and eventually in the workforce. FHC gets involved with FOI each year by donating clothes and assisting with events. FOI has current volunteer position openings! To get involved, contact Krizia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the poor from violence in the developing world. IJM’s global team includes more than 750 lawyers, investigators, social workers, community activists and other professionals at work through 17 field offices. IJM rescues victims by bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors and strengthening justice systems in developing nations. To get involved with this organization, contact Darlyn at email@example.com.
The Open Table model trains congregations to form communities—called Tables—that help transform the lives of people living in poverty. While congregation members and attendees join Tables to help others, they soon realize they are also changed forever by relationships created through missional community. God gives everyone human potential, and the Open Table model allows us to use our skills to give lives of meaning to each other. FHC needs a leader to help bring this model to the church. If you are interested in starting this ministry, contact Krizia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FHC SIGNATURE VOLUNTEER EVENTS
- Do-Something Sabbath: Every quarter, FHC encourages the congregation to volunteer with an organization Sabbath morning.
- Meet Worship Serve: Meet, Worship, Serve is an annual opportunity for the entire congregation to volunteer in the community. In years past, Meet, Worship, Serve has on Sabbath morning in November or December, and followed by a worship service at noon. After learning from our community partners that there is a great need to fill volunteer slots in the first week of January, FHC has decided to move Meet, Worship, Serve to the entire first week of January! Our next Meet, Worship, Serve will be January 1-6, 2018!